Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: film magazines

  1. #1
    Inactive Member pauls opinion's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 29th, 2002
    Posts
    46
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi,

    I would like to read more about film-m-a-k-i-n-g (!); about directors, DOP's etc, of todays films; about why they decide on this or that lighting, kind of film; about why the choose for that type of editing, about screenwriters etc.

    I'm reading books on it; but am also interested for a good magazine on that, for more recent info on recent projects. I like indies and arthouse movies a lot. What magazines would you recommend.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member mattias's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 3rd, 1999
    Posts
    335
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    i read american cinematographer, res, filmmaker and moviemaker quite regularly, plus all the underground genre movie (lesbian aliens with guns) magazines i can find a copy of. :-) i've also tried to read screenwriter, but it's just not very interesting for some reason, although screenwriting is my main professional focus after editing and directing...

    http://www.theasc.com/
    http://www.res.com/
    http://www.filmmakermagazine.com/
    http://www.moviemaker.com/
    http://www.nyscreenwriter.com/

    /matt

  3. #3
    Inactive Member woods01's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 1st, 2002
    Posts
    75
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    A few years ago I had a subscription to American
    Cinematographer. It is an extremly boring magazine
    to read. DoPs might find it thrilling but its
    really very dry reading because its a trade
    magazine. The articles usually lack any critcal
    opinion as they usually gush over a DoPs favorite
    gel and film stock. Since the mag doesn't really
    offer much in the way of lighting schematics I
    didn't really learn much that helped me as
    beginner. Since I was working with video until now that has affected my opinion. There was always
    a few good articles in each issue but for the most
    part it was great for getting me to sleep at night.

    I think the best sources of info are on the
    audio commentaries of SOME dvds. I say some because 99% of them are gushing reviews of
    mediocre films. Check around the DVD websites
    to see which ones that are the most informative
    and critical. I reccomend the Citizen Kane dvd
    I really learned a lot from the two commentary
    tracks on that one. For doing it low budget
    El Mariachi is very informative for the finacially impaired. A really great one that is
    out of print, is the laserdisc of Raging Bull
    (or was it Taxi Driver?) My friend used to own
    it before dvd came along. Martin Scorsese pretty
    much did a master class of his film. Discussing
    frame speeds and lenses and everything else.
    Hopefully it will be released on dvd (the current
    dvd does not have director commentary).

    I'd also reccoment looking for books written
    by film critics or ones that are written many
    years after the inital release of a movie. Most
    "making of" books are like the dvds: cookie cutter
    Entertainment Tonight hype that don't really
    tell you much about the film.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member pauls opinion's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 29th, 2002
    Posts
    46
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks for your input guys!

    John, about books, right now I'm reading "I was interrupted" of Nicholas Ray. It's a really nice book where the director comments on different aspects of filmmaking and with reports of a directors class. sometimes quite basic, but (imo)a very nice read.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member woods01's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 1st, 2002
    Posts
    75
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The book I am currently reading is an older one
    called the 5 C's of Cinematography. It was first
    written about 35 years ago. I've only just started
    to delve into it but so far it has been very
    helpful for a film beginner like myself. I also
    like the Bare Bones Camera Course. As the title
    says its just the bare essentials of lighting
    and camera operation. Good diagrams and easy
    to read.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Nigel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2000
    Posts
    1,668
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I am a big fan of AIVF. Yes it costs more but you get a more well rounded look at what is going on in the "Indie" world.

    Good Luck

    www.aivf.org

  7. #7
    Inactive Member dr.sanchez's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 5th, 2002
    Posts
    48
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I read FilmMaker on occasion; there are usually a couple articles I really like. This month's magazine has a good article on Steven Soderberg. In the 'not bad' category are The Independent Film and Video Monthly and Release Print, though both are local magazines and tend to focus on New York and San Francisco, respectively.

    Oddly enough, I get most of my beginner info off of this and other forums. Thanks, guys.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member calgodot's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 8th, 2001
    Posts
    145
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Add another vote for the Independent Film and Video Monthly (short hand "The Independent") published by AIVF. BTW, the AIVF has salons everywhere, and if they aren't active in your city, then join and get them active.

    I've been a loyal reader of the Independent for years. They are at the avant garde of filmmaking news, and their focus on independents is traditionally very non-Hollywood. (So much so that whenever they put a known director or star on the cover, they get tons of mail accusing them of selling out.) And nobody else covers experimental films with the dignity and respect they do. The monthly profiles of independent production and distribution comanies are worth the subscription price. And the festival listings in the back are detailed. Additionally, the writers and editors have a fine sense of humor and can be counted on for highly original "theme" issues. Finally, if you are interested inmaters of race or gender as they relate to filmmaking, then this is the only magazine for you.

    Online, you can't do much better than IndieWire for news (www.indiewire.com). They have excellent coverage of festivals, good interviews with directors and writers, and film reviewers who don't think with their gonads. The daily e-mail bulletin is a must-have if you are at all interested in industry news. (Full disclosure: I used to write a little for IndieWire.)

    Also online, do not negelect the websites of the various guilds and unions, like the WGA or DGA. They have links to articles, interviews with members, and excellent advice on breaking into the industry.

    FilmMaker, MovieMaker, and all the other mags tend toward s-uckage at best, and downright industry toadying at their worst. They are prettymuch the Entertainment Weekly of indie film magazines. IMHO, of course.

  9. #9
    Inactive Member Greg Crawford's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 6th, 2002
    Posts
    603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    "A few years ago I had a subscription to American Cinematographer. It is an extremely boring magazine to read.

    American Cinematographer should be must reading for anyone wanting to shoot his/her own film. If you read a story you like,...then go see the film. then look over the story, production stills and yes schematics from time to time, you will learn a lot.

    It's true that on a Super - 8 budget you will not have all the Big Boy Toys but don't let that stop you.

  10. #10
    Inactive Member Jon P's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 8th, 2001
    Posts
    92
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Kodak produce a really good freebie called CAMERA that you can pick up from professional film suppliers in Soho. It is a bit of a self promotional effort as the DOP's say what "Kodak" stocks they use but it is really useful.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •